Dundalk, County Louth, enjoys a great location, strategically located approximately midway between the two largest cities in the island of Ireland, Belfast and Dublin.
It sits where the Castletown River flows into Dundalk Bay. The town is close to the border with Northern Ireland and equi-distant from Dublin and Belfast.
The town's name, which was historically written as Dundalgan, has associations with the mythical warrior Cú Chulainn. The town's crest reads Mé do rug Cú Chulainn Cróga, meaning "I gave birth to brave Cú Chulainn". It was granted its charter in 1189.
Within legally defined boundaries it is the largest town in Ireland. In 2003, Dundalk was amongst nine cities and towns to be designated Gateway status in the Irish Government's National Spatial Strategy.
This coastal village has a surprisingly eventful past. Originally a small port with a busy harbour pier; the Norsemen captured the settlement in 831. It wasn’t until 928 that the Vikings were eventually defeated by the native Irish and driven from the locality.
The market town of Ardee derives its name from the folklore tradition of a duel between the legendary irish heroes, ferdia and Cuchulainn near the river Dee. The river Dee was the northern border of the Pale in medieval times.
Ardee with an estimated population of some 4,500 is the third largest town in County Louth after Dundalk and Drogheda.
It is located some 20km south west of Dundalk and 20km north west of Drogheda on the intersection of the N2 Dublin – Derry route and N52 Ardee - Nenagh route.
The N33 Ardee link road provides direct access from Ardee to the M1 motorway. The town stands to benefit from its strategic location with regard to road accessibility and transport both nationally and regionally.
For the historian, there are many archaeological and historical sites including a 14th century Norman Castle and the strange tale of the nearby "Jumping Church".
Carlingford is a magical village, full of character and is one of the best preserved medieval villages in Ireland. With its history and narrow Medieval streets, lanes that lead to the harbour, majestic Slieve Foye mountain and the famous mountains of Mourne across the lough all combine to make Carlingford unique in Ireland.
Today the inherent natural beauty can equally be appreciated on land or sea.
Guided walking tours, horse trekking through the mountains -sailing - yacht charter - windsurfing - canoeing - water skiing can all be enjoyed here in Carlingford. Carlingford has 14 reputable restaurants - cosy pubs - great accommodation.
Enjoy the spectacular panoramic views and listen to the wealth of myths and legends which makes Carlingford unique.
Tallanstown is situated on the banks of the River Glyde and while being the youngest village in County Louth has managed to retain its historical character.
In latter years its charm and beauty has enabled it to win numerous titles in the Annual Tidy Towns Competition.
Tallanstown's history goes hand in hand with it's attachment to the Louth Hall estate, ancient home of the Plunkett family, whose most famous member was St.Oliver Plunkett. The village was build initially to house the multitude of workers who performed various tasks on the estate. The cottages with from the central triangle were built in the early 19th century. These cottages still retain their original large red chimney stacks and step slated roofs. The house on the north western corner of the village was the Manor Court and also at the time an RIC barracks. It has recently been converted into a guest house. On the north side of the village and across the bridge is another row of cottages built in 1851 rot the tenants of Rathbrist Estate.
The original Old School Buiding in Tallanstown built in 1840 and first used as a classroom in that year for both boys and girls. The two original name plaques are still preserved along with the date plaque on the building, its original features and railings are still in use and it has undergone renovation and restoration work in 2004. Situated as it is, a mere three miles from Glyde Court the home of the family, it was inveitable that Sir Vere Foster played a major part in the building of the old school. A statue in memory of Sir Vere Foster is situated in the heart of the village.
Just outside Tallanstown village on the road to Carrickmacross stands an earthen mound known locally as “The Mount”. This may have been the remains of Motte and Bailey but is more likely to have been one of a series of man made lookout towers that stretch across the county towards the Cooley Peninsula. In years gone by it was the location for the local “Patron” held annually on the 29th of June. This event attracted visitors from far and wide and was a source of great entertainment to all present. The Mount now forms part of the delightfully designed "Maguire Park", where visitors can “tarry awhile”.
Generally accepted that the town of Drogheda was established by the Normans, the area around the mouth of the Boyne has a history that streches back thousands of years.
The stones used to build the famous passage graves at Newgrange and Knowth were trannsported to there present locations byway of the river. St Patrick landed at the mouth of the river and made his way along the river to Slane where he lit the Paschal Fire.
The Drogheda Skyline is punctuated with spires and belfries rising from the heart of the town below. Drogheda is described as the "gateway to the Boyne Valley".
Drogheda is one of the oldest and most distinguished urban centres in Ireland with a history stretching back to its founding in 1194. Unlike many other towns of such antiquity, Drogheda has continued to flourish into modern times. Drogheda today, is one of the most substantial urban settlements in the State in terms of population and physical extent.
The town forms a key component along with Dundalk, in making County Louth the most urbanised county in the state beyond Greater Dublin.